Wednesday 27 January 2021
- Advertisement -

YouTube removes new content on Donald Trump’s channel

YouTube removed the new content uploaded to the Trump channel and issued a strike for violating their policies against 'inciting violence'

- Advertisement -
Politics India YouTube removes new content on Donald Trump’s channel

The left-occupied social media’s heckling of outgoing US President Donald Trump continues with impunity. YouTube is suspending US President Donald Trump’s channel for at least a week, or maybe longer, after his channel earned a strike under the platform’s policies, the company said 12 January evening.

A recent video on Trump’s channel had incited violence, YouTube said and the video has now been removed. However, YouTube declined to share details of the video that earned Trump “the strike”, but said that after the one-week timeout, it will revisit the decision.

Notably, the video that Twitter had cited before deleting Donald Trump’s account permanently was called out by hundreds of users as fake. The facial expressions of Trump during the speech in the video did not match the words, the users pointed out.

YouTube had been the only remaining major social media platform not to have suspended Trump in some fashion. Facebook has suspended Trump’s account “indefinitely,” while Twitter has banned Trump completely.

“After careful review, and in light of concerns about the ongoing potential for violence, we removed new content uploaded to the Donald J Trump channel and issued a strike for violating our policies for inciting violence,” a YouTube spokesperson said in a statement.

“As a result, in accordance with our long-standing strikes system, the channel is now prevented from uploading new videos or live streams for a minimum of seven days–which may be extended,” he said.

The video-sharing platform said it would take the extra step of disabling comments underneath videos on Trump’s channel. The company’s policy states that earning a second strike will result in a two-week suspension and three strikes will result in a permanent ban.

Twitter on 8 January banned Trump from its site, which had been a favorite communication tool of the president. He regularly tweeted more than a dozen times a day.

Twitter cited the potential for future violence stemming from the president’s tweets, particularly concerning the inauguration of President elect Joe Biden.

Social media companies have been cracking down on Trump’s posts for the past year, labeling and fact checking posts that contained misinformation about the coronavirus and the 2020 election. But after the attack on the US Capitol last week, which Trump did not immediately condemn, the mainstream social media companies decided the risk was too great to keep Trump online.

- Advertisement -

Views

- Advertisement -

Related news

- Advertisement -

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: