Every year 14th November is celebrated as the World Diabetes Day. The day is aimed to promote awareness about the condition that afflicts millions of people around the world. If nothing is done to manage the condition, Diabetes could impact your other organs like kidneys and eyes too. Reports of diabetes linked to cardiovascular problems are fairly common.
Diabetes is a condition in which your body is either not producing enough insulin or not responding to the insulin produced.
Diabetes strikes in many ways: Type 1, Type 2, Type 3, Gestational and Pre-diabetes. Since diabetes has no known cure, you can only manage the symptoms.
India has fast become the diabetes capital of the world and a large percentage of patients in this country with diabetes is uncontrolled and the most common reason for the loss of quality and quantity of life in diabetics is other complications that are mostly related to the heart.
All of this is fuelling an epidemic of heart disease in India. Most importantly, the country has quite a high youth population. Every year, diabetes afflicts more and more of them.
Hence, it is time we all understood the need to exercise preventive measures not just at an individual level but at the level of society and the country so that it is controlled before spreads even further. Also, it is quite crucial to understand why exactly this disease has reached the heights that have in our country.
This is due to the radical changes that the country is witnessing at this point. But then, there are ways to mitigate the disaster.
World Diabetes Day: Your ideal regimen
- It is important not just to balance the calorie intake, but also to ensure a healthy proportion of carbohydrate, fat, and protein be attained to ensure a heart-friendly diet. The diet must be enriched with micronutrients, fats, fibre, and minerals.
- Regular exercise is the other vital pillar of a healthy heart lifestyle for diabetics. You must always ask your diabetes care team before engaging in an exercise schedule.
- For diabetic patients the new frontier of attaining healthy heart health in no more limited to just losing weight. We now tailor our diabetes care programs to attain a healthy body composition. Diabetes care advice is focused on ensuring you lose fat at the same time build muscle mass and strength. Muscle is one of the most important organs involved in blood sugar regulation. Hence, good muscle health along with fat loss will help control your sugar levels more effectively and durably and keep your heart healthy
- Limiting mental stress is also very vital for heart protection. Meditation and yoga can help minimize mental stress, ensuring heart disease is kept at bay.
- Smoking/tobacco consumption is an absolute ‘NO’ for diabetic patients
- Finally, periodic testing and regular consultation with your diabetes care doctor will ensure not only your sugar levels are controlled
A prescribed home remedy
This World Diabetes Day, you must further be equipped with a home remedy.
The diet plays a crucial role in diabetes management. Many foods are known to keep blood sugar levels in control, one of which is our humble onion.
Including onions in your diet is a good idea, but one has to be very mindful of the portion.
A study published in the journal Environmental Health Insights revealed that consumption of fresh onions reduced blood glucose levels among type-1 and type-2 diabetics. Onion also has a low glycaemic index. Which means, it gets digested slowly, enabling a slow release of sugar in the bloodstream.
This World Diabetes Day, take care.