33 C
New Delhi
Thursday 28 May 2020

WHO chief ‘accomplice’ of China: Former US NSA

Ex-NSA John Bolton joins Republican Senators Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz who had earlier demanded the resignation of WHO chief while President Donald Trump is not happy with Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus either

Editorials

Reforms By Modi Run Into Tired Socialist Criticism

The motley group of right-thinking Indians in this socialist society should not only promote the reforms announced last week but also push every Indian government and political party towards better economics

In India

Former United States National Security Adviser John Bolton is yet another eminent citizen of that country who has now questioned the credibility of the World Health Organisation (WHO), demanding the resignation of Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, calling him an “accomplice to China’s massive cover-up” of the global coronavirus pandemic (COVID). Bolton joins Republican Senators Marco Rubio from Florida and Ted Cruz from Texas who had demanded the resignation of WHO chief earlier.

Increasingly, American legislators and other citizens are demanding that the WHO chief quit. They all have the same grouse. When China was hiding how severe COVID-19 was, the WHO chief, they allege, was busy giving the communist regime a clean chit.

Bolton tweeted on 7 April:

Bolton wrote further, “He misled the world by blindly trusting a communist regime intent on deception.”

WHO chief bluffed

First, towards January-end, Ghebreyesus returned from a tour of China and showered wholesome praise on that country’s fight against COVID. Then, in early February, after President Trump banned travelling by foreign nationals who had returned from China, the WHO chief said such policies “unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade”.

Ghebreyesus hailed China on Twitter on 20 March:

This, even as science journals, agencies, businesses and lawmakers had been questioning the COVID numbers China had accepted. They alleged the figures were inaccurate and fudged to make Beijing’s response to the pandemic come across as stronger than what it was.

Meanwhile, China used assurances of the WHO to polish its image even as a University of Southampton study found the COVID menace could have “reduced by 95% globally” if China had acted three weeks earlier.

Did WHO chief not know any of the following?

Worse, the indictment from China did not come in the form of allegations alone. Even information leaks from that country suggested Beijing’s conduct was fishy.

The worst of all, a Radio Free Asia (RFA) dealing with the coronavirus disclosed on 25 January that the virus had not come from any market of Wuhan but from China’s P4 lab. According to the RFA, behind this virus attack is the hand of a Chinese scientist named Daiyin Guye. This is the person who created the coronavirus.

According to the site, Chinese Vice-President Wang Kishan had sanctioned the project of preparing for a virus attack. But the Chinese government and the Communist Party of China (CPC) have been blaming the US for the ‘leak’. The CPC even alleged that the US prepared the coronavirus but then made a confession.

US mounts pressure

Senator Rubio had said, “Once this pandemic is under control, WHO leadership should be held to account. That includes Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who has allowed Beijing to use the WHO to mislead the global community.”

Rubio added, “At this moment, [Ghebreyesus] is either complicit or dangerously incompetent. Neither possibility bodes well for his future at the helm of this critical organisation.”

A spokesperson for Senator Cruz said the WHO must consider removing the Ethiopian as its head. “Senator Cruz believes that the WHO has lost the credibility necessary for it to be effective, and a reevaluation of its leadership is urgently called for,” the spokesperson told The Washington Free Beacon.

Most importantly, President Donald Trump pinched WHO where it may hurt the agency the most. He spoke of money. He tweeted: “The W.H.O. really blew it. For some reason, funded largely by the United States, yet very China-centric. We will be giving that a good look. Fortunately I rejected their advice on keeping our borders open to China early on. Why did they give us such a faulty recommendation?”

The US is the largest monetary contributor to the WHO. The country donated it nearly $116 million per year — a recent invoice from the WHO to the US shows. That’s not all.

The US donates between $ 100 million and $ 400 million approximately more per year for WHO projects. These grants added up to more than $ 400 million in 2017.

The American media coming up with these figures implies nothing other an indirect message to the WHO that the over $ 500 million it gets from the country comes with some expectations or at least the hope that the agency wouldn’t take Americans for a ride. In other words, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus must go.

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisement -

Articles

আম্ফানের আঘাতে চূর্ণ মমতার আস্ফালন

গ্রামবাঙ্গালার বিস্তৃত অংশে শাসক দলের স্থানীয় আধিকারিকদের এতটাই প্রভাব এবং ক্ষমতা যে DBT সত্ত্বেও ভীতিপ্রদর্শন করে নিজেদের কাটমানি বা অংশটুকু তারা ক্ষেত্রবিশেষে আদায় করতে পারে

Paatal Lok: Antidote To Anti-Hindu Propaganda

A Family Man that upholds the Pakistani PoV on Kashmir or the ilk of Leila and Paatal Lok that defames Hinduism cannot be made if nationalist subscribers react wisely

News

Nepal, after blowing hot, wishes to de-escalate

The Government of Nepal, removing the proceedings of the constitutional amendment from the agenda of the parliament scheduled for 27 May, now says it is looking for a national consensus on the new map

केरल: पति पर पत्नी को सांप से डसवाकर मारने का आरोप

केरल के डीजीपी लोकनाथ बेहरा ने कहा, यह एक अलग तरह का मामला है, जिसकी जांच वैज्ञानिक तरीके से कराई जाएगी, यह टेस्ट राज्य से बाहर कराया जाएगा

For fearless journalism

%d bloggers like this: