The union government has introduced a cyber mechanism to deal with online fraud, which is simple to use. A citizen can now check all the mobile phone numbers registered against his or her Aadhaar card number. The Department of Telecommunication (DoT) has recently launched a website named Telecom Analytics for Fraud Management and Consumer Protection (TAFCOP) that enables users to check all the phone numbers linked with their Aadhaar numbers.
“This website has been developed to help subscribers, check the number of mobile connections working in their name, and take necessary action for regularising their additional mobile connections if any. However, the primary responsibility of handling the Customer Acquisition Form (CAF) lies with the service providers,” TAFCOP mentioned on its website.
Paytm’s Vijay Shekar Sharma tweeted his appreciation for the user-friendly service launched by the union government.
“Very useful service launched by @TRAI/DOT! Open the below site and type in your mobile number and you will know the mobile numbers of all the SIM cards purchased with your Aadhaar number as soon as you enter the OTP. You can ban any of them,” Vijay Shekhar tweeted.
The portal was initially working only for users in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana but now it works for all registered users of Indian mobile phone numbers.
Steps to check phone numbers registered against Aadhaar number
1) Visit the TAFCOP portal
2) Enter your contact number
2) Click on the ‘Request OTP’ button.
3) To validate, enter the OTP number received via SMS on the phone number that you had linked to Aadhaar while applying for the UIDAI facility.
4) All numbers linked with your Aadhaar number will be displayed on the website.
5) From these numbers, one can report and block the numbers not in use by themselves or are no longer required.
DoT guidelines for mobile numbers
As per the existing guidelines, individual mobile subscribers can register up to nine mobile connections in their name.
Facilities provided in TAFCOP portal
1) Subscribers with more than nine multiple connections in their name will be intimated by SMS.
2) Subscribers with more than nine multiple connections in their name can click on the portal link to take necessary action.