9.8 C
New York
Thursday 2 December 2021

Buy now

Ad

HomePoliticsIndiaUttarakhand devastation update: 14 confirmed dead, Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia approved

Uttarakhand devastation update: 14 confirmed dead, Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia approved

The Uttarakhand DGP urged the people not to spread panic, even as he updated the press about the rescue efforts as did the army and the ITBP

|

Nearly 150 people are still missing and many feared to have been killed and as many as 14 bodies have been recovered after the tragic incident of flash flood following a rupture in the glacier in the Rishiganga in Chamoli of Uttarakhand on Sunday. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh each for the next of kin of victims and Rs 50,000 each for those seriously injured in the Chamoli avalanche.

CPI MP Binoy Viswam has given a suspension of business notice under rule 267 in Rajya Sabha over the flash floods in Chamoli, Uttrakhand.

Wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant of the Indian team has announced a donation of his match fee from the ongoing first Test against England to contribute towards the rescue efforts.

Uttarakhand glacier burst live updates: PM Modi approves ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh each for victim, 50k for those seriously injured in Chamoli avalanche
ITBP personnel at work

Rescue operations to save people stranded inside a tunnel near Tapovan Dam in Chamoli district is underway while 12 people have already been rescued from another tunnel, said Vivek Pandey, Indo-Tibetan Border Police’s (ITBP) spokesperson on Monday. The ITBP has deployed 300 personnel to carry out rescue operations at the tunnel. 

The ITBP had rescued 12 people from a tunnel yesterday. Thirty more are trapped in a different tunnel mentioned above. The rescue operation is underway in different areas. More teams will be sent there if it is required, we are focussing on rescuing people from the tunnel first, ITBP spokesperson Vivek Pandey said.

A total of 15 people have been rescued and 14 bodies have been recovered from different places so far, Chamoli Police, Uttarakhand, told reporters.

Uttarakhand DGP Ashok Kumar urged the people not to spread panic. Boulders hurtled down the hills following the glacier burst yesterday, which washed away the Raini power project causing a massive impact on Tapovan. The DGP said 32 people from the first and 121 people later were found missing from the second project. Out of these, 10 bodies have been recovered so far — three from Tapovan and seven in the route to Karnprayag, the officer said. Twelve people were rescued from the smaller tunnel in Tapovan yesterday. Efforts are underway to open the bigger tunnel after removing the debris, Kumar said.

Confirming the figures from the police statement, DIG Sector HQ of ITBP Dehradun Aparna Kumar said that the bigger tunnel had been cleared with the help of earthmovers up to 70-80 m. It is around 180 m long and about 30-40 workers are trapped since yesterday. Efforts are underway to rescue them.

After tireless efforts of Indian Army personnel, including members of its Engineering Task Force, the mouth of the tunnel was cleared. Work continued throughout the night with earthmovers by installing generators and search lights. Field Hospital providing medical aid at the incident site, the army said in a statement.

Indian Air Force helicopter conducted sorties into Uttarakhand for insertion of rescue teams commenced before first light. Reconnaissance of higher reaches to detect avalanche threat underway, the army said.

A team of scientists of DRDO-SASE, flown in last night to Dehradun, reached Joshimath area this morning for surveillance and reconnaissance, said the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).

In a message to his Indian counterpart, Prime Minister of Bhutan Lotay Tshering said, “Sending prayers for the souls lost to the Uttarkhand flood and wishing courage to those who are fighting the disaster. May those who are still missing be found in good health. We are with you, dear friends in India.”

Sirf News needs to recruit journalists in large numbers to increase the volume of its reports and articles to at least 100 a day, which will make us mainstream, which is necessary to challenge the anti-India discourse by established media houses. Besides there are monthly liabilities like the subscription fees of news agencies, the cost of a dedicated server, office maintenance, marketing expenses, etc. Donation is our only source of income. Please serve the cause of the nation by donating generously.

Support pro-India journalism by donating

via UPI to surajit.dasgupta@icici or

via PayTM to 9650444033@paytm

via Phone Pe to 9650444033@ibl

via Google Pay to dasgupta.surajit@okicici

For every one thing I have mentioned in this thread, there are 10 I have missed.

This shows how much effort and backing that was needed, over a period of 70 years, for a Google to come thru

Now you decide if India had that sort of infrastructure and background. And then comment

Yogi Adityanath sets the tone … Biggest interview before polls.

On Mathura, Muslims & mandate … Predicts: 320+ for BJP in 2022 … And a 'surprise' as runner up.

Don't miss @thenewshour AGENDA at 10:30 PM.

#SabkaYogi

The Itihasa episode scheduled for today has been postponed to next Thursday. Same time, 9.00 PM. @Itihasa_Purana

Read further:

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisment -

Now

Columns

[prisna-google-website-translator]
%d bloggers like this: