Wednesday 23 June 2021
- Advertisement -

Terrorists abduct, kill three policemen in Kashmir’s Shopian

Police identified the dead as constable Nissar Ahmed and two special police officers - Firdous Ahmed and Kulwant Singh - from Kapren and Heepora areas of Shopian district

Srinagar: Terrorists shot dead three policemen after abducting them from Shopian district of Jammu and Kashmir early Friday, police said. The bodies were recovered from an orchard in Wangam area, more than a kilometre from the village the policemen were abducted from.


Police identified the dead as constable Nissar Ahmed and two special police officers – Firdous Ahmed and Kulwant Singh – from Kapren and Heepora areas of Shopian district.

Police said the residents of Batagund village had chased the terrorists and urged them not to abduct the policemen, but the militants fired a few shots in the air and threatened the villagers.

They said the terrorists crossed a river in the area and shot dead the policemen.

Nissar Ahmed was working with the armed police, Firdous Ahmed, who was under the process of being converted to a constable, served in the Railways. Kulwant Singh was posted with Kulgam police.

The terrorists had also kidnapped the brother of a police constable but he was released later.

A Twitter handle purportedly belonging to the Hizbul Mujahideen group has claimed responsibility for the abduction and killing.

The policemen were abducted nearly three weeks after terrorists had abducted relatives of policemen from various places in south Kashmir on 30 August. The relatives were later released.

At least eight people whose relatives worked in Jammu and Kashmir Police were abducted.

Hizbul Mujahideen commander Riyaz Naikoo had purportedly claimed responsibility for the abductions in a 12-minute video, issuing a three-day deadline for the release of all relatives of terrorists who were in police custody.

The 30 August abductions happened after the NIA arrested the second son of globally-wanted terrorist Syed Salahuddin, leader of the Hizbul Mujahideen group.

Salahuddin’s son was arrested on charges of receiving secret funds.

Meanwhile, an unidentified terrorist was killed in an ongoing encounter with security forces in the forest area of Bandipora district of Jammu and Kashmir on Friday, police said, taking the number of ultras killed in the operation to two.

An Army official said while one militant was killed on Thursday, the body of another militant was recovered this morning.

“Two militants have been killed in the Bandipora operation,” the official said.

He said the identity and the group affiliation of the slain ultras were being ascertained.

The security forces launched a cordon and search operation in forests of Sumlar area in north Kashmir on Thursday following information about the presence of militants there, a police official said.

The official said the search operation turned into an encounter after militants opened fire on the security forces’ positions. The operation is underway, the official said.


Publishing partner: Uprising

Sirf News needs to recruit journalists in large numbers to increase the volume of news stories. Please help us pay them by donating. Click on the button below to contribute.

Sirf News is now on Telegram as well. Click on the button below to join our channel (@sirfnewsdotcom) and stay updated with our unique approach to news

Chat with the editor via Messenger

Related Articles

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

Translate »
%d bloggers like this: