New Delhi: Actor Sunny Deol has been hogging the limelight since the morning of 23 April after he joined the fanfare. This was followed by the announcement that singer Hans Raj Hans would be the BJP candidate from North-West Delhi. But these are not all. Twenty-five other celebrities have jumped on BJP bandwagon in the Lok Sabha 2019 election season.
Here are the names in alphabetical order.
- Aparajita Sarangi, former IAS officer, joined the BJP on 23 March in the presence of party president Amit Shah.
- Arjun Singh, former Trinamool leader, joined the BJP on 14 March.
- Baijayant ‘Jay’ Panda, former BJD MP, joined the BJP on 4 March.
- Bharati Ghosh, former IPS officer, joined the BJP on 6 February in the presence of party in-charge of West Bengal Kailash Vijayvargiya.
- Chaudhary Virendra Singh, six-time Samajwadi Party MLA and former minister, joined the BJP on 30 March.
- Gautam Gambhir, the cricketer-turned-politician, is the BJP’s candidate in the East Delhi constituency. He had joined the party on 22 March.
- Girinath Singh, formerly with the RJD, joined the BJP on 28 March.
- Singer Hans Raj Hans made news today on being fielded by the BJP from North-West Delhi, replacing sitting MP Udit Raj.
- Harinder Singh Khalsa, sitting MP who was suspended from the AAP, joined the BJP on 28 March in the presence of Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
- Isha Koppikar, Bollywood actress, joined the BJP on 27 January as the working president of BJP’s women transport wing.
- Jawed Habib, celebrity hair-stylist, joined the BJP on 22 April.
- Jaya Prada, a two-term Lok Sabha member from the SP, joined the BJP on 26 March. She was made the party’s candidate from Rampur constituency to take on her bitter rival and SP nominee Azam Khan.
- Krishna Kumar, former Union minister and Congress leader, joined the BJP last Saturday.
- Kunvarji Halpati, ex BJP leader who had left the party to contest Mandvi Assembly as an independent candidate, joined the BJP on 22 March.
- Moushumi Chatterjee, yesteryears’ Bollywood actress, joined the BJP on 2 January in the presence of party general secretary Kailash Viayvargiya.
- Nitish Pramanik, leader of the Trinamool, joined the BJP on 1 March.
- Prakash Mishra, former Odisha DGP, joined the BJP on 24 March.
- Ranjitsinh Mohite-Patil, former MP representing Maharashtra in the Rajya Sabha, joined the BJP on 20 March.
- Ratna Prabha, former Chief Secretary of Karnataka, the third woman to have held the post joined the BJP on 3 April.
- Sadhvi Pragya Thakur joined the BJP on 17 April to be made immediately the party’s candidate who will contest against Digvijaya Singh.
- Sujay Vikhe-Patil, son of senior Congressman and Leader of Opposition Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil, joined the BJP on 12 March.
- Sarath Chand, former Vice Chief of Army, joined the BJP on 6 April in the presence of External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj
- Shyam Lal Sharma, former minister and senior Congress leader, joined the BJP on 30 March in the presence of Avinash Rai Khanna, BJP’s National Vice President
- Sunny Deol, film actor who gave us hits from Betaab to Ghayal, joined the BJP on 23 April.
- Surendra Poonia, Army veteran and international sportsman, joined BJP on 23 March in the presence of party general secretary JP Nadda and senior leader Ram Lal.
- Tom Vadakkan, former spokesman of the Congress and a close aide of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi quit Congress to join the BJP on 14 March.
- Umesh Jadhav, former Karnataka MLA, joined the BJP on 6 March.
The central election committee of the BJP on Tuesday decided the following names for the ensuing general election to the parliamentary constituency of Delhi and the by-election to the Bihar Assembly.
|States||PC No.||Name of PC||Name of Candidate||Phase|
||NCT OF Delhi||5||North West Delhi (SC)||Hans Raj Hans||6|
|Sl.||States||AC No.||Name of AC||Name of Candidate||Phase|
||Bihar||212||Dehri||Satya Narayan Yadav||7|
For more Lok Sabha election-related news, please visit this page.