In a major development, actress Rhea Chakraborty has confessed to the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) that she procured drugs but never consumed them. Rhea was grilled by the agency for more than six hours.
The 28-year-old arrived at the agency’s office in the Ballard Estate area at 12 noon and left around 6:50 PM. She has been summoned again by the NCB for the second round of questioning tomorrow.
During her interrogation, cross-questioning happened between Rhea, bother Showik Chakraborty, Sushant’s house help Dipesh Sawant and late actor’s home manager Samuel Miranda.
The development came a day after a Mumbai court remanded Showik Chakraborty, the brother of Rhea, and Samuel Miranda to NCB custody for 4 days till 9 September.
The NCB has arrested a total of eight people till now, with six bearing direct links to the probe. The agency had arrested the other two at the beginning of the probe under criminal Sections of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
Father of Rhea plays ‘middle class’ card
In a statement late on Saturday, the siblings’ father, Lt Col (Retired) Indrajit Chakraborty, condemned the arrest of Showik. “Congratulations India, you have arrested my son, I’m sure next on the line is my daughter and I don’t know who is next thereafter,” said Indrajit Chakraborty.
“You have effectively demolished a middle-class family. But of course, for the sake of justice, everything is justified. Jai Hind,” said the retired army officer.
The NCB had earlier today said Sushant’s house help Dipesh Sawant was an active member of a drug syndicate. The agency arrested the trio — Showik, Miranda and Sawant — after it contended it had got sufficient evidence against them about their involvement in the drugs case
“On the basis of statements of Dipesh Sawant, house help of late actor Sushant Singh Rajput, and digital evidence collected by NCB, it’s clear that Dipesh is an active member of drug syndicate connected with high society personalities and drug suppliers,” the NCB said.