34.7 C
New Delhi
Friday 29 May 2020

Real Estate Hit By Trident Of Shiva

Editorials

Reforms By Modi Run Into Tired Socialist Criticism

The motley group of right-thinking Indians in this socialist society should not only promote the reforms announced last week but also push every Indian government and political party towards better economics
Avatar
Lalit Advani
Real estate professional & commentator, currently with Viva Realty.

In India

कसाब की पहचान करने वाले पहले गवाह हरिश्चंद्र का निधन

कामा अस्पताल के निकट हरिश्चंद्र को दो गोली लगी थी, जब 10 आतंकवादियों ने इस हमले को अंजाम दिया था, उन्होंने कसाब के साथी इस्माइल को अपने ऑफिस के बैग से मारा था

योगी सरकार 11.50 लाख प्रवासी श्रमिकों को उपलब्ध कराएगी रोजगार

योगी ने दूसरे राज्यों से उत्तर प्रदेश के 26 लाख प्रवासी श्रमिकों की घर वापसी कराई है, श्रमिकों और कामगारों को प्रदेश में ही रोजगार देने का वादा किया है

arlier we had discussed the overall impact of demonetisation on the real estate market. This clearly has the potential to derail certain sectors of real estate market. First, demonetisation will suck up a lot of cash from the system. Once the cash component vanishes into the banks, it will be replaced by only about 20% of what was there earlier. The remaining 80% of your cash has vanished. The government giveth and the government taketh away!

A lot will depend on how much cash is available. If the total amount of cash remaining is 1/5th of what it was till 8 November, obviously the pricing and payment terms have to readjust. Say, there is some property worth Rs 100 and the seller quotes 50:50 for the cash-to-cheque ratio. With the cash component gone, will the seller quote Rs 50? Obviously not. Can he quote Rs 100? He can’t do that either. The reality will lie somewhere in the middle. The possible scenarios that can emerge are as follows:

  • Official prices may increase
  • Overall prices may come down
  • Government revenue from stamp duty may increase
  • Slowdown in transactions initially till the marker finds a proper valuation in which transactions take place
  • These statements apply to geographies where pricing is dual. For full cheque jurisdictions, there may not be a significant change in pricing
  • Government debt will decrease, leading to a stronger government balance sheet
  • Home loan rates likely to go down to 7.5 % in 12 months
  • Illegal employment will decrease. Labour wages will go up

Many real estate experts will make wonderful graphs in colour and explain all of this in much greater detail in the future with long essays.

To summarise the scenario, there are 3 things most likely to occur as a fallout of demonetisation. Illiquidity will hit the agricultural land sector the hardest. There will be a major pricing review and it will be difficult to exit the market.

Semi-urban land will be the second casualty though not as badly hit as agricultural land. Even here, a pricing review is inevitable. Urban landholders are relatively safe though they will have to pay a good amount of income tax. This is a double whammy of new price discovery with extremely low liquidity. Developers have to deal with full cheques, resulting in paying a higher income tax.

Demonetisation, RERA and GST are like the trident of Shiva. Along with destruction comes transformation. Those who embrace the change will not be destroyed.

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisement -

Articles

Tirupati: Where Protector Of Three Worlds Needs Protection

Tirupati temple authorities were considering the liquidation of land-assets and buildings donated by devotees to Lord Venkateswara to help tide over what the management called “COVID-19 related financial crisis” and an inability to pay staff salaries

আম্ফানের আঘাতে চূর্ণ মমতার আস্ফালন

গ্রামবাঙ্গালার বিস্তৃত অংশে শাসক দলের স্থানীয় আধিকারিকদের এতটাই প্রভাব এবং ক্ষমতা যে DBT সত্ত্বেও ভীতিপ্রদর্শন করে নিজেদের কাটমানি বা অংশটুকু তারা ক্ষেত্রবিশেষে আদায় করতে পারে

Paatal Lok: Antidote To Anti-Hindu Propaganda

A Family Man that upholds the Pakistani PoV on Kashmir or the ilk of Leila and Paatal Lok that defames Hinduism cannot be made if nationalist subscribers react wisely

News

योगी सरकार 11.50 लाख प्रवासी श्रमिकों को उपलब्ध कराएगी रोजगार

योगी ने दूसरे राज्यों से उत्तर प्रदेश के 26 लाख प्रवासी श्रमिकों की घर वापसी कराई है, श्रमिकों और कामगारों को प्रदेश में ही रोजगार देने का वादा किया है

For fearless journalism

%d bloggers like this: