3.4 C
New York
Saturday 27 November 2021

Buy now


HomePoliticsIndiaQureshi alias Tauqeer: 'India's Osama' masterminded 2008 Gujarat blasts

Qureshi alias Tauqeer: ‘India’s Osama’ masterminded 2008 Gujarat blasts


New Delhi/Mumbai: Gujarat serial blasts mastermind Abdul Subhan Qureshi, who had earned the nickname of ‘India’s Osama bin Laden’, could have been top-notch IT professional, had he not joined Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) in 2001-2002.

Qureshi (46) had been on the run since 20 blasts ripped through Gujarat’s main city Ahmedabad on 26 July 2008, killing more than 50 people and wounding several others.

But he was finally nabbed by the Delhi Police’s Special Cell on Saturday night, bringing to rest a manhunt of 10 long years.

As many as 13-14 rounds were exchanged between the police and Qureshi, said Pramod Singh Kushwah, deputy commissioner of police (Special Cell).

A pistol, live cartridges, and a Santro car, stolen in November 2014, were seized from him.

Even though his arrest came days before Republic Day, police said that he was not planning any attacks in Delhi.

He was later handed over to the Delhi Police by a city court for custodial interrogation for two weeks.

Qureshi alias Tauqeer was the co-founder of the Indian Mujahideen (IM) and also headed the SIMI.

His name had also figured in the 2006 Mumbai blasts and some other terror cases but he had managed to keep the police and other investigative agencies on their toes in his search all these years.

But luck ran out on him Saturday night when he was arrested for the first time by the Special Cell from east Delhi’s Ghazipur area following a brief exchange of fire.

An officer privy to the probe said that Qureshi has a “cool personality” and is somebody who “does not get hyper”.

“He could easily mingle with a crowd. In order to avoid being nabbed, he would always use public transport and would travel in general coaches in trains. If he had a meeting fixed at a particular hour, he would either reach there before the scheduled time or would reach late,” the officer said.

Qureshi developed an inclination towards SIMI in 1994-95 when he started attending its meetings that were held near his home in Mumbai.

“A look into his life belies the theory that terrorists come from uneducated and deprived backgrounds,” said Pramod Singh Kushwah, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Cell).

He did his schooling from a Christian missionary school, in Byculla, Mumbai. In 1992, he got admission in the Bhartiya Vidyapeeth, Navi Mumbai and in 1995, he completed diploma in Industrial Electronics.

As a teenager, he started visiting the Muslim Charitable Library near his house where he would read many newspapers and took a keen interest in issues related to Islam. He also started taking part in social gatherings on religious issues, the DCP said.

After completing his education in 1995, he started working as a customer support engineer at a company in Fort, Mumbai.

He had the sound technological knowledge, and even passed the Microsoft Certified Software Engineering (MCSC), besides doing Industrial Electronics from Bhartiya Vidyapeeth, Mumbai, and hardware networking course.

During this period, he also attended weekly programmes of SIMI in Kurla, Mumbai and came in contact with Riyaz Bhatkal, then a student at Byculla College, Mumbai.

He joined SIMI in 1996. He got married in February 1999 and also switched his job location to Andheri East, Mumbai.

By 2000, he had transformed into a highly-radicalised youth, totally disillusioned with the establishment and determined to follow the ideology of jihad, said the officer.

He soon became a prominent member of SIMI and was assigned the task of editing the English edition of its magazine ‘Islamic Movement’. He left his well-paid job in a top IT firm in Mumbai and moved to Zakir Nagar, Delhi.

During his stay in Delhi, he grew very close to Safdar Nagori, the then General Secretary of Central Advisory Committee of SIMI.

After SIMI was banned in September 2001, some of its activists were arrested in Surat, Gujarat and Qureshi’s name also figured during the investigation.

In order to evade Surat Police, he shifted his base to Bijapur, Karnataka. Nagori appointed him “Head Ansar” of Karnataka operations.

While staying in Bijapur he frequently travelled to Bhatkal and revived his association with Riyaz Bhatkal and also came in contact with Bhatkal.

At that time Bhatkal was the nerve centre of radical youths and Qureshi who was by now second in command of SIMI, became a co-founder of Indian Mujahideen (IM) along with the Bhatkal brothers, the police officer said.

He efficiently worked as the main bridge between the old cadre of SIMI and the newly-founded IM. By 2005, after reviving SIMI in South India and forging proper ties with IM, he diverted his energies to carrying out the action in Maharashtra and Gujarat.

On 11 July, 2006, SIMI/IM executed serial blasts in local trains in Mumbai. Subsequently, Qureshi’s name figured in this case and he fled Mumbai for Karnataka.

SIMI and IM together wanted to carry out widespread terror activities. A meeting of SIMI cadres under the aegis of Nagori and Qureshi took place at Castle Rock, Hubli, Karnataka in 2007.

The duo organised training camps of SIMI cadres at Choral, (Indore, MP) in November 2007, at Wagamon (Kerala) in December 2007, at Halol (Gujarat) in January 2008.

In these camps, physical and psychological training was imparted to the cadres to wage jihad against India.

Mountaineering, swimming, reading, pistol firing, preparing and using Molotov cocktail (Petrol Bomb), enacting fake accidents to declare the death of cadres and other evading tactics to be adopted to mislead the interrogators, if arrested, were also taught, the officer said.

Qureshi has a gift of gab to influence and motivate impressionable minds into waging jihad, said the officer.

It is understood that he is a bomb-maker and the suspected signatory of the IM terror as ‘al-Arabi’, he added.

After Nagori was arrested, he planned the Gujarat blasts to avenge the arrest of Nagori and other SIMI members and to send out a strong message to the establishment.

Interpol Red Notices were issued against him for his role as the main conspirator in the Ahmedabad serial blasts.

He is also the suspected handler of Alam Jeb Afridi who had planted the low-intensity bomb in Church Street, Bengaluru on 28 December, 2014, a fact that the Delhi Police will confirm with their counterparts there, the officer said.

Qureshi had not visited hi Mumbai residence in the last 10 years and was in Nepal after executing the 2008 Gujarat blasts.

In Nepal, he worked as an English teacher while also arranging funds for revival of IM. It is suspected that he also had links with ISIS since many of his associates also had foreign linkages.

Between 2015-17, he was in Saudi Arabia, where he worked as a salesman at various places.

Maharashtra’s Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) will coordinate with the Delhi Special Cell and send a team to interrogate Qureshi who is in custody of the Delhi Police, sources in the state police said in Mumbai.

The ATS will seek Qureshi’s custody in connection with the pending cases against him, the sources said.

The National Investigation Agency (NIA), probing the 2010 Delhi blast case, had announced a reward of Rs 4 lakh on Qureshi who had been followed by teams of the Special Cell of Delhi Police and other intelligence agencies.


Sirf News needs to recruit journalists in large numbers to increase the volume of its reports and articles to at least 100 a day, which will make us mainstream, which is necessary to challenge the anti-India discourse by established media houses. Besides there are monthly liabilities like the subscription fees of news agencies, the cost of a dedicated server, office maintenance, marketing expenses, etc. Donation is our only source of income. Please serve the cause of the nation by donating generously.

Support pro-India journalism by donating via UPI to surajit.dasgupta@icici

India will meet Poland in their last pool fixture in the FIH Junior Men’s Hockey World Cup 2021 at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar this evening. #JWC2021

The India Pakistan Tango for your weekend reading …

An easy free-flowing narrative, packed with very interesting details & information not known to the general public.


A 20-year-old woman was raped and killed by an unidentified person in Kurla area of Mumbai, Maharashtra. The woman's body, which had started decomposing, was found in a vacant building. A case has been registered under Sections 376 & 302 of IPC: Mumbai Police

India needs to keep chipping away! Nzl will have to bat last on this pitch! Maiden after maiden is not so good from Nzl's point of view

Read further:

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisment -