“The Chinese Army has communicated to us that they have found a missing boy from Arunachal Pradesh and the due procedure is being followed,” PRO Defence, Tezpur Lt Col Harshvardhan Pandey, said in a statement.
The youth, who has been identified as 17-year-old Miram Taron from Lungta Jor area under Siyungla in Arunachal Pradesh, reportedly went missing on Tuesday (18 January).
State MP Tapir Gao alleged that Miram Taron was abducted by the PLA from inside Indian territory. “Chinese #PLA has abducted Sh Miram Taron, 17 years of Zido vill. yesterday 18th Jan 2022 from inside Indian territory, Lungta Jor area (China built 3-4 kms road inside India in 2018) under Siyungla area (Bishing village) of Upper Siang dist, Arunachal Pradesh,” he said in a tweet.
Tapir Gao claimed that the incident took place near the place where Tsangpo river enters India in Arunachal Pradesh.
On receipt of the information, the Indian Army immediately contacted the PLA through established mechanism of hotline, informing that the boy, who was collecting herbs and hunting, had lost his way and could not be found.
Assistance from PLA was sought to locate the boy on their side and return him as per established protocol.
A similar incident took place in September 2020 when the PLA had abducted five youths from Arunachal Pradesh’s Upper Subansiri district and released them after about a week.
The latest episode happened at a time when India and China are engaged in a nearly two-year-long standoff in eastern Ladakh.
Notably, India shares a 3,400 km-long Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China from Ladakh to Arunachal Pradesh.
So far, officials from both sides have held 14 rounds of military-level talks, but no resolution has been found.