Bread with jam is a common breakfast item. The homemade variety is better than what is available in the market because all readily available jams have preservatives — the most common of them not being healthy. Homemade jams with seasonal fruits are tastier and healthier. One can make it less sugary, which is another option in the home variety.
- Pineapple: 1 medium size
- Sugar: 2 ½ cups or as per taste
- Lemon juice: 2 tbsp
- Jaiphal (nutmeg) powder: ½ tsp
- Pineapple essence: 1 tsp (optional, I don’t use it; a natural pineapple flavour is good enough for me)
- Peel and chop pineapple cubes. Put them in a blender and make a coarse or smooth puree.
- Pour the puree in a cauldron, add sugar and mix well.
- Heat the mixture; cook it for 15 to 20 mins till the sugar is dissolved and the syrup is consistently thick.
- Now add nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and add lemon juice. Mix well.
- Allow the preparation to cool down completely.
- Now take a clean dry glass jar and store this jam in it.
Enjoy the jam with bread, biscuits and chapati.