Sydney/New Delhi: The Committee of Administrators early on Wednesday had issued a show-cause notice to Indian cricketers, Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul, and sought an explanation within 24 hours for their remarks on women on a television show.
The show-cause came hours after Pandya apologised (on Twitter) for making remarks that were construed as misogynist and sexist on the celebrity chat show, Koffee With Karan, saying he had got “carried away by the nature” of the show.
“We have sent show-cause notices to Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul for their comments. They have given 24 hours to give an explanation,” CoA chief Vinod Rai said.
Pandya appeared on the show, hosted by filmmaker Karan Johar, with his India teammate KL Rahul.
Earlier, taking to Twitter, Pandya had posted,
What Pandya had said to Karan Johar
On the show, Pandya had boasted about hooking up with multiple women and also how open he has been about it with his parents.
When asked why he didn’t ask women their name in a club, Pandya responded by saying, “I like to watch and observe how they (women) move. I’m little from the black side so I need to see how they move.”
Criticism started coming Pandya’s way soon after and it is learnt that he was ticked off by the BCCI top brass.
According to a source, Pandya’s comments were deemed “crass and cringe-worthy” and might have a bearing on whether Indian cricketers appear on “such non-cricket shows” after this. “It will be considered whether players should even be allowed to appear on such shows which have got nothing to do with cricket,” a BCCI source said.
Formal apology: Pandya ‘regrets’
Later, Pandya offered “regrets” in response to the show-cause notice. His comments on women on the TV show had triggered a massive outrage. It could prompt the BCCI to bar players from such appearances.
Regret, and not an apology, was what Pandya offered in his reply.
“I made an appearance on the chat show where I have made certain statements without realising that these could be disrespectful and offend sensitivities of viewers for which I am sincerely regretful,” stated Pandya’s response. “I would like to assure you that there was no malice or any sort of ill-intent on my part to offend anyone or portray any section of the society in (a) bad light,” he added.
Pandya vowed never to repeat the behaviour.
“I made these statements in the flow of the show and had not comprehended the extent to which my statements would be found offensive. Rest assured I hold the BCCI in (the) highest regard and will exercise complete discretion and prudence to ensure that such incidents are never repeated in future,” he said.
Rahul, who was the more restrained of the two in his answers, has neither responded to the show-cause notice nor reacted to the criticism as yet.
Vinod Rai non-committal
“I will have to check their explanations. At this point, I cannot commit what action will be taken,” Chairman of the Committee of Administrators that runs the BCCI Vinod Rai said.
BCCI yet to decide
fate of ‘misogynist’ cricketers
“It will be considered whether players should even be allowed to appear on such shows which have got nothing to do with cricket,” a BCCI source said.
Pandya is currently with the Indian team in Australia where it recently recorded a historic maiden Test series win. He wasn’t part of the optional practice session at the SCG on Wednesday and is said to have spoken with coach Ravi Shastri and other senior members of the Indian ODI team.
Pandya had joined the team before the Boxing Day Test in Melbourne after recovering from a back injury which he had suffered during the Asia Cup in UAE last year. He will be seen in action in the three-match ODI series against Australia which starts on 12 January in Sydney.