Thursday 19 May 2022
- Advertisement -

Pakistan blames India, Afghanistan for terror attack on Chinese engineers

Iqbal said 14 people were involved in the attack, and the group was led by a person named Tariq, a member of the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP)

Join Sirf News on

and/or

Pakistan on 12 August alleged that India and Afghanistan were behind last month’s suicide attack on a shuttle bus in the country’s restive Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province that killed 13 people including nine Chinese engineers.

The bomb attack in Dasu of Upper Kohistan targeted a Chinese company that is building a 4,300 MW hydropower project on the Indus river.

Thirteen people were killed when the bus carrying Chinese engineers and workers to the site of the under-construction Dasu exploded on 14 July. The bus fell into a deep ravine after the explosion.

Addressing a press conference in Islamabad after the completion of the probe, assisted by Chinese experts, Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said Afghan soil was used and the vehicle used for the attack was smuggled from Afghanistan.

He accused the Indian spy agency Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) and Afghanistan’s National Directorate of Security (NDS) of carrying out the attack.

“It was a blind case but Pakistani institutions managed to trace it,” Qureshi said, alleging that there is a nexus of the two agencies which were behind the incident.

The Pakistan foreign minister said the Pakistani authorities examined footage of 36 CCTV cameras while the area under the investigation was almost 1,400 km.

Last month, Pakistan had alleged that the mastermind of an attack near the house of internationally banned Jamat-ud-Dawa outfit chief Hafiz Saeed in Lahore on 23 June was an Indian citizen” and he was associated with R&AW. Later it claimed that a “common link” has been established between the Dasu blast and the explosion outside Saeed’s house.

India has previously trashed as “baseless propaganda” Pakistan’s claim that it was behind some attacks in Karachi and Lahore and asked Islamabad to take “credible and verifiable” action against terrorism emanating from its soil instead.

Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Spokesperson Arindam Bagchi last month asked Pakistan to focus on setting its own house in order in containing terror networks and said that the international community is well aware of that country’s credentials when it comes to terrorism.

“It is not new for Pakistan to engage in baseless propaganda against India. Pakistan would do well to expend the same effort in setting its own house in order and taking credible and verifiable action against terrorism emanating from its soil and terrorists who have found safe sanctuaries there,” Bagchi said on 8 July in New Delhi at an MEA briefing.

“The international community is well aware of Pakistan’s credentials when it comes to terrorism. This is acknowledged by none other than its own leadership, which continues to glorify terrorists like Osama Bin Laden as ‘martyrs‘,” he said.

Qureshi claimed that the first target was the Diamer-Bhasha site in Gilgit-Baltistan but on failing to target it, the terrorists targeted the Dasu project.

He said the authorities have traced the handlers and the people connected with it.

The Chinese officials have visited the crime scene and were updated about the investigation, Qureshi said, adding that China was satisfied with the probe.

Director-General of Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Javed Iqbal, who also briefed the media on the occasion, said that it was a suicide attack and a thumb and a limb of the attacker were found at the scene.

He said the suicide bomber was identified as Khalid aka Sheikh and he was an Afghan national.

Iqbal said 14 people were involved in the attack, and the group was led by a person named Tariq, a member of the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

He claimed that Tariq and another person Muawiya were trained by NDS and RAW for this attack.

“We have so far arrested three suspects and are going to nab others, he said.

Pakistan had initially said that the accident was caused due to technical problems and later an explosion occurred due to gas leakage, while China has from the beginning called it a terrorist attack due to which the vehicle fell down. Beijing sent a 15-member team of experts to Pakistan to probe the incident.

The Dasu bus blast had accentuated Beijing’s concerns as thousands of Chinese personnel are working on the $ 60 billion China-Pakistan installations, projects and personnel in Pakistan.

For Pakistan, ties with China are crucial due to its increasing economic dependence on Beijing.

This year, the two nations are celebrating the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations and more than 100 celebratory events have been planned of which over 60 events have already been held so far.

Join Sirf News on

and/or

Similar Articles

Comments

Contribute to our cause

Sirf News needs to recruit journalists in large numbers to increase the volume of its reports and articles to at least 100 a day, which will make us mainstream, which is necessary to challenge the anti-India discourse by established media houses. Besides there are monthly liabilities like the subscription fees of news agencies, the cost of a dedicated server, office maintenance, marketing expenses, etc. Donation is our only source of income. Please serve the cause of the nation by donating generously.

Or scan to donate

Swadharma QR Code
Advertisment
Sirf News Facebook Page QR Code
Facebook page of Sirf News: Scan to like and follow

Most Popular

[prisna-google-website-translator]
%d bloggers like this: