Home Politics India Nitika, widow of Maj Dhoundiyal, to join Indian Army

Nitika, widow of Maj Dhoundiyal, to join Indian Army

Nitika Kaul Dhoundiyal earned her place, clearing the entrance exam of the service selection board of the army that had relaxed the age restriction for her


Nitika Kaul, the widow of Maj Vibhuti Dhoundiyal who was killed in action during a military campaign on 18 February last year, is scheduled to join the Indian Army‘s technical wing. But this is no charity; she earned her place. She cleared the entrance exam (service selection board) of the army.

Nitika received a call letter from the Officers Training Academy (OTA), Chennai. She currently works in a software company in Noida.

The family of Nitika informed the press about her new vocation on Tuesday. After her husband was killed in action, the army offered her an age-relaxation so that she could take the army examination.

Following the news of Maj Vibhuti falling in the battleground, a video of an emotional Nitika bidding goodbye to her husband had gone viral on social media. Nitika was heard saying, “You had said that you loved me, but you loved the country more. I will always love you. My life is for you.”

Nitika’s mother-in-law Saroj Dhoundiyal told the English newspaper that she is very happy to join her daughter-in-law’s army. He said that she is a brave girl and cares for us like a daughter. We are very happy to have him in our lives. He told me first about the offer letter.

On February 18, on the first death anniversary of her husband, Nitika said that she hoped that she would get a chance to serve the country too. Nitika and Vibhuti had met in college and got married in April 2018. Major Vibhuti died a few months after their marriage.

Following is the story of her brave husband from the website Honour Point:

How Vibhuti bid adieu to Nitika

“During 2018-2019, Maj Vibhuti Shankar Dhoundiyal’s unit 55 Rashtriya Rifles, was deployed in Pulwama district in Jammu and Kashmir and was engaged in operations against the militants on a regular basis. Following the terrorists’ attack on CRPF convoy in Pulwama on 14 Feb 2019, the security forces were maintaining a state of high alert and subsequently a massive operation was launched to nab the perpetrators of the attack.”

“On 17 Feb 2019, the security forces received credible information from the intelligence sources about the presence of terrorists in Pinglan village of Pulwama district. Based on the intelligence inputs 55 RR along with the Special Operation Group of Jammu and Kashmir Police launched a search and destroy operation in Pinglan a neighbourhood of Kakpora the home of the terrorist, who had attacked the CRPF convoy on 14 February.”

“The assault team was being led by Brigadier Harbir Singh himself and Maj Vibhuti was part of the team. On being challenged the terrorists opened fire and a fierce gun battle ensued thereafter lasting for over 20 hours. A number of hardcore terrorists responsible for the attack on CRPF convoy on 14 February, were eliminated during the encounter. However, during the heavy exchange of fire, eleven security personnel too got injured including the leader of the team.”

“The injured soldiers were moved to the Army Hospital but Maj Vibhuti and three other soldiers Sep Ajay Kumar, Sep Hari Singh, and Hav Sheo Ram succumbed to their injuries and were martyred. Maj Vibhuti was a valiant soldier and a fine officer who led from the front and laid down his life in the service of the nation, following the highest traditions of the Indian Army.”


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

For fearless journalism