Thursday 5 August 2021
- Advertisement -

: Fire at City Centre mall doused after 56 h

Earlier on 23 October, five firemen, including a deputy fire officer of Mumbai Fire Brigade, were admitted to a hospital due to suffocation

The fire at the City Centre Mall in Mumbai Central in south Mumbai was extinguished at 5:08 AM on 25 October, after 56 h the blaze had started, according to Mumbai Fire Brigade (MFB) authorities.

However, cooling operations are still in progress.

“There are many combustible items in shops at the mall such as mobile phone batteries, chargers and wires. Cooling operations are on. But, the fire was put out at 5:08 AM,” an MFB official said.

The fire had broken out at a shop on the second floor of the City Centre Mall at 8:53 PM on 22 October, as Level 1, or a small blaze.

The fire spread to other floors and the MFB declared it a brigade call, or level 5 blaze, at 2:42 AM on 23 October. The three-storey mall houses around 400 shops on each floor.

Earlier on 23 October, five firemen, including a deputy fire officer of MFB, were admitted to a hospital due to suffocation.

On 24 October, another fireman was admitted to Nair Hospital due to suffocation.

It takes 250 firefighters, 228 tankers to douse the Mumbai fire

Mumbai Fire Brigade (MFB) said the fire at the City Centre Mall was extinguished at 5:08 AM, 56 h after it started. “Since there are many combustible items in many shops in the mall, such as mobile phone batteries, chargers and wires, cooling operations are still going on,” a fire official added.

Over 250 firefighters and 228 tankers were deployed to bring the blaze under control. “The mall is spread on a huge area, with around 400 shops on every floor. The major problem which we are facing is that the fire flames are falling from the ceiling, owing to which we are unable to move without restrictions to douse the blaze,” an MFB official had said on 24 October. He had pointed to the risk of explosion due to the presence of mobile batteries, chargers, and power banks.

As many as six firemen, including a deputy fire officer, were hospitalised in the city’s Nair Hospital due to suffocation.

“Prima facie, we have found that there were sprinklers, but we will investigate if there was adequate fire safety equipment and if they were functional,” the MFB said.

After the fire escalated to level 5 on, around 3,500 people from a neighbouring residential were evacuated and rushed to safety as thick smoke had engulfed the 55-storey building premises.

To serve the nation better through journalism, Sirf needs to increase the volume of news and views, for which we must recruit many journalists, pay news agencies and make a dedicated server host this website — to mention the most visible costs. Please contribute to preserve and promote our civilisation by donating generously:

Related Articles

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Stay Connected

22,042FansLike
2,884FollowersFollow
18,100SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

Translate »
[prisna-google-website-translator]
%d bloggers like this: