Lucknow: Virtually ending the long Yadav family feud, Samajwadi Party patriarch Mulayam Singh Yadav has said that his son Akhilesh Yadav will once again be the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh if his party retains power.
“Akhilesh will be the Chief Minister after the election,” Mulayam Singh said on Monday evening, hours after saying there was no rift between his son and him. While there is still no final word on how the spoils of the party will be distributed between Mulayam Singh, brother Shivpal Yadav, Amar Singh, Akhilesh Yadav and Ram Gopal Yadav, the people of Uttar Pradesh now know what a future SP government, if any, will look like.
“Our party is completely united. There is no question of the party breaking up,” Mulayam Singh Yadav said.
Today, there was a closed-door meeting between the father and the son that lasted about 1 h 45 min. “Netaji wishes to remain the party president while he is okay with Akhilesh having full control of his government,” a source in the SP said to सिर्फ़ News. Akhilesh Yadav has reportedly rejected this truce formula.
Earlier, when the Election Commission met with Mulayam Singh’s camp, the latter made the following points.
- As per the constitution of the SP, its national president cannot be removed without a national convention of the party.
- A 30-day notice period is required before calling for a national convention of the SP, which the Akhilesh camp did not follow in its meeting of 1 January.
- The procedure of removal of the party president also requires a process of nomination of possible replacements; the Akhilesh camp did not abide by this rule either.
- Since Ram Gopal Yadav had been removed from the post of general secretary, he was no longer qualified to bring a motion during the party meeting.
- Ram Gopal Yadav was reinstated through a post on social networking site Twitter, which is invalid.
- There was no motion to remove Mulayam Singh as the party chief; therefore, the question of a new president did not arise.
The bitterness with Ram Gopal Yadav was evident yesterday as well when in Lucknow, Mulayam Singh had said there were “no differences” between him and Akhilesh, but “one person has influenced his son”, which had led to “problems in the party”.
Sources in the party said that the family feud will be settled just in the nick of time so that the EC can grant the Akhilesh faction the election symbol of cycle/bicycle.