Makhana is nothing but puffed lotus seeds or fox nut seeds. It is cultivated the most in the State of Bihar in India because of a climatic reason. I always roast the makhana and keep it in a jar. Makhana is healthier than popcorn, chips and other ready-to-eat snacks.
Measuring cup used,1 cup = 250 ml
- Full cream milk: 1ltr
- Green cardamom: 2 or 3
- Almonds, blanched and sliced: 10 -15
- Cashewnuts sliced: 10 -12
- Sugar: as per taste
- Saffron: a pinch (optional)
- Heat the pan and put a little ghee and fry the makhana.
- Put the milk to boil. When the milk comes to a boil, add makhana and simmer the milk with occasional stirring on a low-to-medium flame.
- After 5 min, add the sugar, cardamom and a pinch of saffron.
- Let the milk simmer for 12-15 min on a low-to-medium flame with occasional stirring.
- If you want, you can let the milk simmer for some more minutes to get a slightly thick consistency. However, keep on stirring often.
- Now add slices of almonds and cashews.
- Your makhana kheer is ready.
Switch off the fire and serve the makhane ki kheer — hot or warm or cold.