Monday, 16 September 2019, +05:30
Space for Advertisement
India Maharashtra milk : Fadnavis says government open for talks

Maharashtra milk protest: Fadnavis says government open for talks

Farmers' organisations are demanding a hike of Rs 5 per litre in milk procurement price and have decided to suspend the supply to Mumbai and Pune from today

-

Mumbai/Nagpur:  tankers were stopped on Monday in several districts of Maharashtra by protesters demanding hike in procurement price, even as Chief Minister disapproved of the agitation.

The agitators stopped milk tankers in various places and emptied them on roads as a mark of .

Impact of the protest was also felt on the dairy’s collection centres at Vasai and Virar towns in the neighbouring Palghar district as the cooperative giant decided not to collect milk from farmers today.

is the single largest supplier of milk to Mumbai. If ’s milk supply gets affected, the impact will be felt by consumers, a senior State government official said.

As many as 55 lakh milk pouches are sold in Mumbai every day, with the Gujarat-based firm having the highest market share of 30% followed by Kolhapur-based Gokul, a dairy development department official had earlier said.

Farmers’ organisations are demanding a hike of Rs 5 per litre in milk procurement price and have decided to suspend the supply to Mumbai and Pune from today.

chief Raju Shetty, who is spearheading the protest, said they were compelled to take up the agitation as the State government did not pay heed to their demands.

The agitation will intensify further if the State government fails to fulfil the demands, the Lok Sabha member from Kolhapur warned.

Members of various farmers’ organisations decided to escalate their protest today after they noticed that despite their opposition, several dairies were planning to supply milk to major cities like Mumbai and Pune.

The farmers’ organisations stopped milk tankers in various districts of western Maharashtra and emptied the vehicles on roads.

The districts of Kolhapur, Sangli, Satara and Pune in western Maharashtra — the epicentre of the agitation — are the major milk producers and suppliers to Mumbai and other major cities.

Fadnavis also did not favour the idea of transferring subsidy to the milk producers directly.

“Only 40% of the milk producers are registered with the body representing them. The remaining 60% are not registered. So, direct transfer (of subsidy amount) may lead to a kind of scam,” he said.

Shetti had yesterday said that the procurement price of milk should be immediately hiked by Rs 5.

“Farmers sell milk to dairies at Rs 17 per litre. After processing it, the dairies package it in pouches and sell it at a minimum rate of Rs 42 per litre. The difference in earnings has not been passed on to the farmers,” he said.

Ajit Nawale of the , which works for farmers’ rights, had said the agitation will intensify further if the State government failed to procure milk at higher prices or did not give special subsidy to milk farmers.

Leave a Reply

Latest news

Khattar makes NRC election pitch before Haryana poll

While members of even the ruling coalition in Assam are unhappy with the way NRC has panned out in their state, some BJP leaders are going around the country promising a similar exercise nationwide

Gangwar retracts: North Indians unemployable, he’d said

When recruiters arrive, they say the quality of candidates they are looking for is not in adequate supply in these areas, Union Minister of State (independent charge) for Labour and Employment Santosh Gangwar had said in Bareilly on Saturday

Crude oil supply crisis in market for the first time due to attack on Saudi plant

Due to the drone attack by Houthi rebels, crude oil supply has decreased by 5.7 million barrels per day, which is 6% of the global supply

Bheto Bangali: Why And How You Identify One

A one-word translation for 'bheto' may be an exercise in futility; phrases like 'rice-influenced' or ‘rice-oriented’ do serve as literal translations while not quite bringing out the rich and diverse connotations of this one-word nomenclature used to describe the typical Bengali mentality, one that transcends diet and encompasses multiple aspects of life
- Advertisement -

Freight Equalisation Policy Crippled Bihar, Bengal, Odisha

The freight equalisation policy ensured that Maharashtra and Gujarat enjoyed hegemony in metal as well as cotton while Bihar, Bengal and Odisha got an upper hand in none

Salman Khan gifted her no house, says Ranu Mondal

If Salman Khan had given me a house, he would have presented it to me in front of everyone: social media sensation-turned-singer Ranu Mondal

Must read

- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you

%d bloggers like this: