Sunday 7 March 2021
- Advertisement -

Karnataka: 6 die in dynamite blast

Previously, on 22 January, a dynamite blast at a railway crusher site in Shivamogga, Karnataka, had killed eight people

- Advertisement -
Politics India Karnataka: 6 die in dynamite blast

Six men were killed in a dynamite blast in Chikkabalapur district, Karnataka, on today when they were allegedly trying to dispose of illegal explosives. M Chandrashekhar, inspector general of police (central range), cited an initial investigation and added the explosives belonged to a legal quarry pulled up recently for violation of norms.

“It looks like some people had tried to dispose of illegal explosives and there was an accidental blast. Bomb detection and disposal team and forensic teams have arrived from Bengaluru. We will be able to finer details of the incident once their investigation is over,” said Chandrashekhar.

An ambulance driver, who ferried the injured, said they received a call about the incident around 1:20 AM. “We reached the location around 1:40 AM. We were initially told it was an accident, but when we reached the location, we realised there was a blast and there were five people.”

D Sudhakar, who is the minister in charge of the district, said the explosives belonged to the legal quarry that was closed down on 7 February for not storing explosives properly and not having an engineer at the site. “…we suspect that fearing further inspections, the owners must have got some employees to move the explosives to a forested area in Gudubande, around 2km away from the quarry,” he said.

The minister said that the explosives were moved using a mini-truck and two others have accompanied it on bikes. “…the bomb disposal team…said that even the signals from the mobile phones could have triggered the explosion. But they are investigating further,” Sudhakar said.

Police have identified three owners of the quarry and legal action has begun.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled the deaths. “Pained by the loss of lives due to a mishap at Chikkaballapur in Karnataka. Condolences to the bereaved families. Praying that the injured recover quickly: PMO tweeted.

This is the second such blast in Karnataka in the last month. On 22 January, a dynamite blast at a railway crusher site in Shivamogga had killed eight people.

- Advertisement -

Sirf News needs to recruit journalists in large numbers to increase the volume of news stories. Please help us pay them by donating. Click on the button below to contribute.

Sirf News is now Koo-ing. Click on the button below to join our handle (@sirf_news) and stay updated with our posts on the platform that won the Atmanirbhar App Innovation Challenge, 2020

Sirf News is now on Telegram as well. Click on the button below to join our channel (@sirfnewsdotcom) and stay updated with our unique approach to news

Views

- Advertisement -

Related news

- Advertisement -

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

[prisna-google-website-translator]
%d bloggers like this: