After 56 league matches and three play-off matches it has finally come down to one final encounter to determine the champions of IPL 2020. Four time IPL champions – the most – Mumbai Indians will face Delhi Capitals, who have qualified in the summit clash for the first time, in the final of the 13 edition of Indian Premier League in Dubai on 1o November.
Both the teams have finished in the top two after the conclusion of the league-stage and they will lock horns to lift the trophy in Dubai. On one end, we have the seasoned campaigners and four-time IPL champions led by Rohit Sharma. On the other end, we have the Shreyas Iyer-led DC, who have made it to their first-ever IPL final.
While MI will have the experience of playing the big finals on their side, DC will be looking to approach their maiden IPL playing fearless brand of cricket; something which they did in their crunch Qualifier 2 clash against Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH).
This will be the fourth time that these two sides are facing each other this season and MI have won all the three previous clashes. While they will be out to make it 4-0, DC will be itching to avenge those three losses with one which will now matter the most.
7 interesting trivia facts about the Mumbai vs Delhi IPL 2020 final that you might not know
1) It will be a battle between IPL’s most successful captain – Rohit Sharma, who has won four titles – and the youngest captain Shreyas Iyer.
2) Only 3 times the table topper of league stage has ended up winning the IPL. And the only team to do it since the introduction of playoffs is Mumbai Indians, that too twice.
3) Shreyas Iyer will become the youngest captain to lead a side to the IPL final. Rohit Sharma is currently the youngest captain to win the IPL. He had led MI to their maiden IPL title in 2013.
4) Shreyas Iyer is the first Mumbai born cricketer who will captain against Mumbai in an IPL final.
5) The opposite of this has happened twice when Kumble captained RCB to the final in 2009 and Sachin Tendulkar lead the MI side to the final in 2010.
6) Rohit Sharma in 2013 and Shreyas Iyer in 2020 are the only Indian players to lead their IPL side to the final without having captained in international cricket. Rohit in 2013 and Iyer in 2020 had represented India in ODIs and T20Is but not in Tests.
7) In the current squad of Delhi Capitals have 3 players who were previously part of IPL champion side — Shikhar Dhawan (SRH in 2016), Ravichandran Ashwin (CSK in 2010 & 2011) and Axar Patel (MI in 2013).
Last IPL 2020 meeting
– Delhi (143/8 in 20 overs) lost to Mumbai (200/5 in 20 overs) by 57 runs.
(27 matches – MI 15| DC 12)
- MI at this venue: Played 7, Won 2, Lost 5
- DC at this venue: Played 10, Won 5, Lost 5
- Head to head overall:
Matches 27, MI wins 15, DC wins 12
MI Probable XI – Quinton de Kock (wk), Suryakumar Yadav, Rohit Sharma, Ishan Kishan, Hardik Pandya, Kieron Pollard, Krunal Pandya, James Pattinson, Trent Boult, Rahul Chahar, Jasprit Bumrah.
DC Probable XI – A Rahane, Shikhar Dhawan, Shreyas Iyer, Rishab Pant, Shimron Hetmyer, Marcus Stoinis, Axar Patel, Ravichandran Ashwin, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, Tushar