Monday 26 October 2020

Indian Army gifts 10 ventilators to Nepali counterpart

The Indian Army has donated 10 ICU ventilators to the Nepali Army to support its efforts to cope with the COVID-19 crisis, with Indian ambassador Vinay Mohan Kwatra reaffirming New Delhi’s commitment to help the people of Nepal in prevailing over the pandemic.

Kwatra presented the ventilators to Nepali Army chief Gen Purna Chandra Thapa, who is also the honorary general of the Indian Army, during a ceremony held at the army headquarters in Kathmandu on Sunday.

“The Indian Army has a long record of extending support to the Nepali Army as a first responder for humanitarian assistance and relief. The gifting of ventilators is part of this continued humanitarian cooperation between the two armies,” said a statement from the Indian embassy in Kathmandu.

Indian mission in a release said, “The Indian army has a long record of extending support to the Nepali Army as a first responder for humanitarian assistance and relief. The gifting of ventilators is part of this continued humanitarian cooperation between the two Armies.”

Adding, “During the handing over, Ambassador Kwatra reaffirmed India’s commitment to provide all necessary help to the people of Nepal in prevailing over the pandemic.”

The ICU can be used for secondary care in hospitals and since they are compact, they are handy in the transportation of patients requiring intensive care.

Chinese planes are proving to be a big headache for Nepal

Xi Jinping knows how to get his way. At home, loyalists help the Chinese president keep his grip on power.

Abroad China tames countries through the debt trap. Back in July, Nepal decided to ground six Chinese planes. The Nepal airlines had bought them back in 2012 but it can no longer afford to keep the Chinese planes in the air.

Because they are a big headache. Reportedly Nepal had struck a deal with China, because it was promised a gift. The agreement was simple. Nepal will buy six planes from China and China will give away two more planes as gifts. Now, the agreement wasn’t so simple after all. It was a deal that only helped the dragon. The agreement was signed in 2012 under prime minister Baburam Bhattarai.

Nepal bought these planes through Chinese funding. 60% of the funding came from china’s Exim bank. The remaining 40% was in the form of a grant or subsidy from China. The value of the deal 6.6 billion Nepali rupees. That’s more than fifty million dollars as of today.

You may be interested in...

All