Amid the dreaded coronavirus global pandemic, India on 10 March debarred nationals of three more countries — France, Germany and Spain. India has suspended regular as well as e-visas granted to the citizens of these countries till date. The risk from these countries remains, however, from Indian nationals who are currently stranded there, who must be allowed to return to the country.
A Bureau of Immigration of India notification issued late Tuesday night read: “All regular (sticker) Visas/e-Visas granted to nationals of France, Germany and Spain and issued on or before March 11 and who have not yet entered India stand suspended with immediate effect.”
Regular visas, including e visas, which the authority grants to all foreign nationals who have a travel history to these countries on or after 1 February and who have not yet entered India stand suspended too, the notification informed.
The authority in India issued the new notification shortly after Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba on Tuesday held a high-level meeting of secretaries of various ministries and departments, grappling to contain the spread of the deadly COVID-19.
The meeting to review the status, actions, preparedness and management of COVID-19 cases in India was held in the capital, said an official statement of the Union Health Ministry.
With more than 100 countries across the world now having reported cases of COVID-19, the Union Health Ministry in its advisory urged its citizens returning from abroad to self-monitor their health and follow the recommended do’s and don’ts.
The global death toll from the COVID-19 pandemic crossed the 4,000-mark today. The pandemic has spread to over 100 countries with more than 110,000 cases of infection.
In India, the number of confirmed virus cases had risen to more than 50 an hour ago but has now breached the 60-mark. However, there has been no case of death reported so far.
Fourteen more people have tested positive for coronavirus — eight in Kerala and three each in Karnataka and Maharashtra, state authorities said on Tuesday as the number of such cases went up to 61. Amid the COVID-19 scare, a combination of two anti-HIV drugs was used for the first time in India in the treatment of two patients.