The governments of the union, states and union territories are organising a number of events this 15 August. The function at the Red Fort in Delhi will celebrate the 75th Independence Day of India with grandeur, gaiety, fervour and enthusiasm as usual. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the nation from the ramparts of the Red Fort.
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has issued a set of instructions to states and union territories to organise celebrations on Independence Day. It has requested administrators to avoid large congregations in the ceremony and follow Covid-19 guidelines.
As per the notification by the MHA, the ceremony at Red Fort will comprise the following events:
- The arrival of Prime Narendra Modi at the Red Fort premises
- The prime minister will be presented with a Guard of Honour by the armed forces and Delhi Police
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will unfurl the national flag accompanied by the playing of the national anthem
- This will be followed by the firing of a 21-gun salute
- The helicopters of the Indian Air Force will shower flower petals
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi's speech will start at 7:30 AM
- All attendees will rise to sing the National Anthem.
- Tricoloured balloons will be released
The notification said in the various states, the celebration of Independence Day would begin after 9 AM. The events will include the unfurling of the national flag by the respective chief ministers of the states accompanied by the playing of the national anthem.
The state police, paramilitary forces, home guards, NCC and scouts will present the Guard of Honour. The chief ministers will address the public followed by the singing of the national anthem.