Doi Ilish or hilsa in yoghurt has very similar looks to that of mustard (or sarshe) hilsa, but the two taste quite different.
- Hilsa: 4 pcs
- Yoghurt: ½ cup
- Poppy seed: 2 tbsp paste
- Mustard paste: 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Green chillies: 4
- Salt: as per taste
- Sugar: ½ tsp
- Kalanji seeds: ½ tsp
- Clean the hilsa pieces and pat dry them. Season them with salt and turmeric powder.
- Now heat mustard oil in a wok, and slowly put the fish pieces one by one and fry them lightly. Remove the fish pieces after they are fried and keep the oil aside
- In a bowl, mix yoghurt, poppy seed and the mustard paste. Add turmeric powder. Add some fresh oil to the wok and temper with the Kalanji seeds and let them splutter.
- Turn the heat to low and add the mixture of yoghurt, poppy seeds and mustard paste and green chillies. As the oil starts separating, add the fish, salt and cup of water. Cover and cook for some time.
- Garnish with a few drops of fresh mustard oil and green chillies.
Serve with hot steamed rice.