Merrut: Dreaded gangster Prem Prakash Singh alias Munna Bajrangi was shot dead inside district jail in Baghpat on Monday morning.

Bajrangi’s wife Seema Singh had recently alleged that UP Police’s Special Task Force (STF) was hatching a conspiracy to eliminate her husband inside jail premises.

Bajrangi was shifted to Baghpat from Jhansi jail around 9:30 PM on Sunday night for an appearance in a local court on Monday in an extortion case. Initial reports indicate the involvement of Sunil Rathi gang behind the murder. Sources said that Bajrangi was shot at 5:30 AM when the prisoners were being served tea.

The don was accused in multiple cases of murder, attempt to murder and extortion. He was the key accused in the sensational murder of BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai, who along with his seven supporters were killed during an attack on his motorcade in Ghazipur district of eastern Uttar Pradesh on 29 November 2005.

Additional Director General (ADG), Prison, Chandra Prakash said a team of senior officials has been sent immediately to examine the crime scene and investigate the matter. He said the initial probe suggested that he had a brawl with some jail inmates inside the jail after which they opened fire on him.

He said Bajrangi suffered gunshot in his head and succumbed to injuries while being taken to the jail hospital. The gangster’s murder has come as an embarrassment to the police who conceded that there has been a security lapse.

On 29 June, Bajrangi’s wife Seema Singh held a press conference in Lucknow where she said that she apprehended a threat to her husband’s life inside the jail.


She said Bajrangi alleged that senior police officials of UP STF were hatching a conspiracy to murder her husband and had even accused the authorities of trying to kill him in jail with the help of other inmates.

The STF had refuted Seema’s allegations of a murder conspiracy and insisted that it was a ploy to shore up sympathy for the gangster.

Senior police officials said Bajrangi, who had been in jail since his arrest from Mumbai in January 2009, allegedly operated an extortion racket with help of his aides while remaining behind bars.