Mumbai: All heroes don’t wear capes – and they don’t have an age prerequisite either.
When a Level-3 fire broke out on the 12th floor of Crystal Tower near Hindmata Cinema in Parel at around 8 AM on Wednesday, Zen Sadavartewas one of those who was trapped on that floor. But Zen, who is only 10 years old, did not panic. Instead, she used her presence of mind to save her family and her neighbours.
As smoke billowed all over, Zen quickly took pieces of cloth around her house, wet them very well, and urged her family and neighbours to cover their noses with them and breathe through it. The reason behind this practice that rescuers always insist on is that the smoke in such cases has high levels of carbon. The wet cloth absorbs that carbon and makes it possible for you to breathe oxygen through it.
While it is one of the first things anyone in a fire is supposed to do, it is remarkable indeed that a 10-year-old girl remembered this fact and urged the 17 people around her to follow it, thereby increasing their chances of staying safe till they could be rescued.
The fire brigade doused the fire in two hours and saved 25 people. Of these, 16 have been admitted to a local hospital. The fire resulted in the deaths of four people – while two died due to the fire, two others died due to smoke inhalation when they were trapped in the elevator.
An officer from the fire department said, “The electrical wiring in the duct area of the building caused the fire to start on the 12th floor. There were fire extinguishers but they were not operational. Because of the smoke and heat on the 12th floor, the people on upper floors were also trapped. The building is declared unsafe and power and water supply are stopped now. The evacuation process is complete. A thorough investigation will be conducted into the incident.”