Sunday 23 January 2022
- Advertisement -

COVID-19 notified as disaster; Rs 4 lakh ex-gratia for death

The notification of COVID-19 as a national disaster follows a steep rise in the number of patients and one death each in Karnataka and Delhi

Taking a grim view of the rising cases of the novel coronavirus disease 2019 (nCOVID-19 or COVID-19), the Union Ministry of Home Affairs today declared it a disaster announced an ex-gratia compensation of Rs 4 lakh to every family that loses a member to coronavirus.

According to the home ministry, the government will provide assistance under the State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) since COVID-19 is now considered a disaster. The number of coronavirus patients in the country has risen to 84.

The compensation will cover people involved in relief operations or in response activities.

COVID-19 is spreading wildly in India as well as all over the world. The number of coronavirus cases in the country rose to 84 on Saturday as per the Union Ministry of Health. These include cases of death of one person each in Delhi and Karnataka.

A 76-year-old man from Kalaburgi, who had recently returned from Saudi Arabia, died on Thursday while a 68-year-old Delhi-based woman infected with COVID was admitted to Ram Manohar Lohia hospital on Friday night and she died this morning.

The Ministry of Health reported that the woman’s son had returned from abroad and was found to be infected with COVID. The woman’s condition had aggravated due to diabetes and hypertension.

So far, Delhi has reported seven cases of COVID infection and Uttar Pradesh has reported 11. There are six patients in Karnataka, 14 in Maharashtra and three in Ladakh. One case each has been reported from Rajasthan, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Jammu Kashmir, Andhra Pradesh and Punjab.

Nineteen cases of COVID have been reported from Kerala, out of which three patients were discharged after treatment last month. Ministry officials said there were 17 foreign nationals among the 84 confirmed cases. These include 16 tourists from Italy and one citizen of Canada.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared COVID-19 a pandemic.

Additional Secretary of the Union Ministry of Home Affairs Anil Malik said that only four Indo-Nepal border posts would be operational and visa-free entry into the country would continue for the citizens of Bhutan and Nepal. He said that the decision to close the Kartarpur corridor was under consideration.

Get in Touch

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
spot_img

Related Articles

Editorial

Get in Touch

7,493FansLike
2,452FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Columns

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x
[prisna-google-website-translator]
%d bloggers like this: