New Delhi: Terming opposition parties as ‘Compulsive Contrarians’, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley Wednesday accused them of manufacturing falsehood and subverting democracy by weakening an elected government.
Nations are built by those with positive mindsets and a national vigour, not by the ‘Compulsive Contrarians’, he said in a Facebook blog without naming Congress or other opposition parties.
Jaitley, according to sources, is in the United States for a medical checkup.
“The Compulsive Contrarians had no qualms about manufacturing falsehood. They could concoct arguments even if they went against the general interest of the country. They could masquerade corruption as crusade. They could adopt double standards whenever it suited them, he said in a Facebook post titled ‘The Compulsive Contrarian and his Manufactured Logic’.
Citing the tirade mounted by political parties on host of issues including 10% reservation for economically weaker sections and the Rafale defence deal, Jaitley said that the ‘Compulsive Contrarians’ believe that this Government can do no good and hence its every act must be opposed.
Nations are built by those with positive mindsets and a national vigor, not by the Compulsive Contrarians. Didn’t left-liberals find fault with the various actions that Gandhiji took during the freedom movement? Weakening a Sovereign Elected Government and strengthening the unelectable is only a subversion of democracy, he wrote.
Some examples of ‘contrarians’ according to Jaitley
- Steps taken against black money were described as “Tax Terrorism”.
- AADHAAR which became an instrument for saving money to ensure that it is fruitfully spent for the poor was questioned on the ground of violating personal liberty.
- Slogans which championed the breaking-up of this country into pieces was defended as free speech.
- The successful surgical strikes conducted by the Army were questioned either as a routine or as a dubious process.
- (On Judge Loya’s case) The Compulsive Contrarians included a retired Judge of the Supreme Court and a former Chief Justice of Delhi High Court. They had no hesitation in allowing themselves to support falsehood without factual verification.