8.7 C
New York
Sunday 5 December 2021

Buy now

Ad

HomePoliticsIndiaClean Ganga: Govt plans one city, one operator for STPs

Clean Ganga: Govt plans one city, one operator for STPs

|

New Delhi: To ensure better coordination and improved quality of water, the government plans to have a single operator maintain all sewage treatment plants (STPs) in a city along the Ganga, as part of its efforts to clean the river, a senior official said.

The Union Water Resources Ministry has already invited tender for integrating the existing sewage treatment infrastructure in Mathura with a new 30 million litres daily (MLD) STP to be built there under the hybrid annuity-based public-private mode.

Under this mode, the government will pay the operator 40% of the amount initially, while the remaining 60% will be spent by the operator.

The rest of the amount would be paid by the government over a period of 15 years, provided the firm operates and maintains the STP properly and meets the ministry s affluent discharge norms, the official said.

He said efforts are on to integrate STP infrastructures in Allahabad (72 MLD) and Kanpur (49 MLD) in Uttar Pradesh, Patna (150 MLD) in Bihar and Kolkata (136 MLD) in West Bengal.

Tenders for these projects are likely to be invited by the last week of this month, the official said.

There are several STPs in each city along the Ganga. Some of them are old and are not operating properly. Upgradation, operation and maintenance of STPs in the entire town/city would be done by one operator. This will also mean the ministry does not have to deal with five to six operators, the official said.

The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), which is executing the mission on behalf of the ministry, has sanctioned 97 sewerage infrastructure projects at a cost of Rs 14,127 crore to abate in the 2,525-km long river. Of these, 11 are proposed to be completed under the hybrid annuity model.

The NMCG has identified 97 towns (in five Ganga basin states of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal) along the mainstream of the river which generates 3,603 MLD of sewage. The existing treatment capacity of the towns concerned is 1,584 MLD.

Eighty-nine sewage treatment projects have been taken up in 56 towns along the mainstream of the Ganga. These projects are estimated to create another 1,525 MLD capacity.

Nineteen of the 89 projects have been completed and created 172 MLD capacity, while work on 42 projects is in progress, the official said.

PTI

0 views

Sirf News needs to recruit journalists in large numbers to increase the volume of its reports and articles to at least 100 a day, which will make us mainstream, which is necessary to challenge the anti-India discourse by established media houses. Besides there are monthly liabilities like the subscription fees of news agencies, the cost of a dedicated server, office maintenance, marketing expenses, etc. Donation is our only source of income. Please serve the cause of the nation by donating generously.

Support pro-India journalism by donating

via UPI to surajit.dasgupta@icici or

via PayTM to 9650444033@paytm

via Phone Pe to 9650444033@ibl

via Google Pay to dasgupta.surajit@okicici

Shelby Hoefling surprised her 96-year-old grandma, Patricia, with a trip to New York City and tickets to see the Rockettes. Here's how she reacted. https://cnn.it/3pqwo0y

Russian President Vladimir Putin to visit India on 6th Dec for 21st India-Russia Annual Summit

https://newsonair.gov.in/News?title=Russian-President-Vladimir-Putin-to-visit-India-on-6th-Dec-for-21st-India-Russia-Annual-Summit&id=430868

All-Karnataka United Christian Forum for Human Rights held a peace assembly in Bengaluru on Saturday to oppose the proposed anti-conversion Bill

"I request Karnataka Govt to withdraw this bill. If not, it will have a far-reaching impact," said Bengaluru Archbishop Peter Machado

4
Read further:

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisment -

Now

Columns

[prisna-google-website-translator]
%d bloggers like this: