Raipur/New Delhi: Sixty-two “hardcore Maoists” surrendered before security forces in Chhattisgarh on Tuesday, police in the poll-bound state said, a development Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh described as a “huge achievement”.
Of the 62 Maoists, 55 surrendered with their arms and ammunition in Narayanpur district, Inspector General of Police (Bastar) Vivekanand Sinha said.
The police said that 62 Maoists had been active members of the Tumeradi Jantana Sarkar under the Kutul area committee of Maoists for the past eight to nine years. Tumeradi Jantana Sarkar is classified as violent among the Maoist ranks by the law enforcement.
During the interrogation, the surrendered Naxals revealed that the extremists’ nexus has weakened over the years due to consistent police search operations and growing pressure due to arrests of senior active Maoist leaders, it said.
Meanwhile, the home minister said the success of the government’s surrender policy was pushing Naxal cadres to shun the path of violence.
“…I congratulate the State Chief Minister @drramansingh the DGP and the police force for this huge achievement,” he tweeted soon after the surrender.
Polling for the 90-seat Chhattisgarh Assembly is scheduled to be held in two phases – on 12 November for 18 seats and on 20 November for 72 constituencies.
Most of the constituencies in the first phase fall in the state’s Bastar region.