The Border Security Force (BSF) shot dead five alleged intruders along the India-Pakistan International Border in Punjab’s Tarn Taran district early on 22 August, officials said.
The BSF personnel from 103rd battalion have recovered an AK-series rifle and a pistol from the site where these intruders were killed near Dall village of Bhikhiwind sub-division in the district, they added.
This is the highest number of intruders killed in a single incident along the more than 3,300 km-long border with Pakistan in more than a decade, officials said.
According the report, the BSF troops first noticed suspicious activity at the international border around midnight. The BSF troops from 103 Battalion launched a “focussed” surveillance on the intruders in the border and set up multiple ambushes.
The report quoted a BSF official as saying that the contact was established around 4:45 am, just behind the international border fence. The officials said the intruders, who were armed with rifles, were trying to sneak into Indian soil with the aid of tall grass. However, the alert BSF troops spoiled the intrusion bid and shot dead 5 of the intruders.
What happened at the border:
• The BSF troops, officials said, first noticed suspicious activity at the border around midnight and launched a focussed surveillance on the intruders. They also set up multiple ambushes along the front after which ‘contact was established’ early in the morning, just behind the IB fence.
• According to people familiar with the developments, two men at that point of time were trying to sneak into India.
• The intruders were seen carrying rifles and were taking the aid of the ‘sarkanda’ or tall grass to sneak into India, they said.
• The two men were asked to stop, but they continued their movement, which prompted the troops to open fire. After the firing, a search operation was launched following which the BSF found five bodies.
• An intensive search operation along the front is underway. “The search operation is still going on. It is yet to be ascertained if those who were shot down are Pakistanis. An AK-series rifle and a rucksack has been recover so far. We can tell about the motive of the accused once the operation is finished,” said a senior BSF official.