Sunday 4 December 2022
- Advertisement -
EconomyBusinessLambretta, alternative to Bajaj scooters till 1980s, to stage comeback

Lambretta, alternative to Bajaj scooters till 1980s, to stage comeback

It's time for middle-class Indians aged 50 years and above to get nostalgic; a brand of scooters with a longish and sharper-edged rear ends, which they would see in the streets till the 1980s, other than the usual Bajaj, is all set to stage a comeback. Italian scooter brand Lambretta will be partnering with Bird Mobility for its comeback in India.

Walter Scheffrahn, owner of Innocenti SA, which owns Lambretta globally, told The Economic Times, “The brand has its soul in India and it has tremendous affinity amongst the masses. We want to recreate the magic of the past. We aim to make it a Ferrari of scooters in India with our top-end range.” The brand also has plans to infuse over $200 million in India in the next five years. Innocenti SA will unveil a variety of models in the and also plans to bring an electric scooter in 2024. Most of the models that Lambretta  will be high-powered by scooters with capacities between 200 cc – 300 cc.

Lambretta has plans to start local production too. The company will focus on exports to other markets including Italy. 

Lambretta scooters are not going to be the most affordable scooters in India, though. They are likely to be more expensive than other premium scooters currently on sale in India. 

As much as 51% of the Indian entity will be owned by Lambretta and the remaining 49% by the Bird group.

Lambretta has managed to sell over 1 lakh units of scooters globally. With entrance to Indian market, the numbers are expected to go up. Currently, Lambretta is available in around 70 countries. units are currently lcated in Europe and South East Asia. If they set up a manufacturing facility in India, it is going to be the biggest one yet. The manufacturer plans to set up a facility with a capacity of 1,00,000 units at Manesa by 2024.

New Lambretta models, features

Earlier this year, the iconic two-wheeler manufacturer from Italy Lambretta two new scooters in Milan. The scooters G350 and X300 were showcased at the Milan Design Week 2022. Just like many other manufacturers, Lambretta is also offering modern features with its scooter while maintaining the retro looks. Lambretta will be unveiling G, V and X model scooters in India. The G350 scooter fro Lambretta gets a TFT instrument cluster, USB charger, double arm-link suspension with ABS, Lambretta’s signature hexagonal design full LED headlamp, LED tail lights and so on.

The X300 gets a semi-digital instrument cluster, smart keyless entry, LED headlamps and tail lamps, disc brakes with ABS and many more features. G350 is powered by 300-cc, single cylinder, liquid-cooled engine that generates 27 Bhp and 27 Nm of peak torque. The engine is mated to an automatic gearbox. The X300 uses a 275-cc, liquid-cooled engine that generates 24 Bhp and 24.5 Nm of peak torque. This scooter is also mated to an automatic scooter.

Click/tap on a tag for more on the subject

Related

Of late

More like this

[prisna-google-website-translator]