New Delhi — Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh today approved the delegation of more powers to the Foreigner Registration Offices. The delegation has been done with a view to ensure that services to foreign students already in India are further streamlined. It is mentioned that there are about 93,300 foreign students studying in India at present.
The delegation of following powers to Foreigner Registration Offices for visa related services has been approved by the home minister:
- Extension of validity of student visa;
- Extension of validity of provisional student visa for a period up to 6 months;
- Grant of additional entries on student visa over and above 3 entries per academic year permitted;
- Cancellation of student visa in case a foreigner on student visa discontinues his/her course of study abruptly and voluntarily seeks exit from India;
- Conversion of entry visa to student visa;
- Conversion of Student Visa to Entry Visa on marriage to an Indian national.
Roll out of the information technology-based Mission Mode Project of Immigration, Visa, Foreigners’ Registration and Tracking (IVFRT) enables greater delegation of powers as all transactions/decisions are recorded in the online system for any future review or audit. Greater use of IT systems has enabled facilitation of legitimate travelers while strengthening security.