Patiala: Four persons were killed and 11 others took ill after ammonia gas leaked at a food processing unit following an explosion in Punjab’s Patiala district today, police said. The incident took place at around 1.30 AM, they said.
The incident took place inside a unit of Himalaya Fresh located on Shambhu Ghanaur Road in which four persons were killed on the spot while 11 others sustained serious injuries. Out of these, four are said to be critical. They have been admitted to the government Rajendra Hospital at district headquarters.
Before the gas leak, a blast was heard suggesting that one of the cylinders filled with ammonia might have exploded inside the food processing unit, police said.
As the blast was heard at a nearby village, locals from there rushed to the unit, they said.
The ill people were rushed to the nearby hospital where four of them were declared brought dead, police said.
Senior officials of the district administration also rushed to the spot to oversee rescue operations.
According to the villagers, they heard a blast after which reports of ammonia leak started pouring in during the wee hours of Tuesday morning. Panic struck the village, following which the villagers moved away from the unit where the incident had occurred, said Gursharan Singh, one of the villagers.
Meanwhile, the administration has called for a team of national disaster response force NDRF to take over the rescue
operations at the incident spot.
Sirf News needs to recruit journalists in large numbers to increase the volume of its reports and articles to at least 100 a day, which will make us mainstream, which is necessary to challenge the anti-India discourse by established media houses. Besides there are monthly liabilities like the subscription fees of news agencies, the cost of a dedicated server, office maintenance, marketing expenses, etc. Donation is our only source of income. Please serve the cause of the nation by donating generously.
Support pro-India journalism by donating via UPI to surajit.dasgupta@icici